Sunday 16 January 2011

The new aquarium!

I've been wanting a tropical aquarium for quite some time now and finally after years of subtle hinting and perhaps not so subtle nagging, I ended up getting one for Christmas. It's taken a little bit of time to set up, mainly due to the fact that I had to wait until after my dance competition weekend to fill it with water, in case it leaked while we were away. But now that I'm back and the water has been heating up for the past few days, I've been able to start aquascaping and getting it ready for the new arrivals. It was pretty awesome to see that it turned out so well, I was actually quite daunted at how bad my tank landscaping skills would be when the tank still looked like this:
The new 70 litre aquarium in the first stages of set-up, even
 before any water was added. Really loving the rock-effect background, 
especially because it was on sale!

But finally, the tank is up and running! I'm so pleased with how it turned out and it's now just a matter of letting the plants grow fully and cycling the tank. I picked up my first few fish yesterday and they seem to be settling in really nicely. In fact, they've already been given names by my mum, despite the fact that they're more or less identical...

So here it is, the finished product. I've had hours of amusement watching the fish settle into their new home already and hope that the aquarium will continue to be a success!

The new set-up! 70 litre tank (Juwel Rekord 700) with Marina rock-effect background.
Plants: Sumatra driftwood, moss ball, lava rock, Vallisneria natans.
Fish: 3 Widow Tetras and 2 Albino Widow Tetras

No comments:

Post a Comment